Let’s make Steampunk nerf guns!
If you don’t want to disassemble your gun, this is how I did it.
1) Get a nerf gun, squirt gun, etc etc. It may not look cool, but trust me, this paint job is gonna make this chunk of plastic a work of art.
2) Spray on a primer layer of paint. Mine was gray because I’m weird. But it looks really cool! If you were going for a different genre, you could totally just accent a few parts of the gun with navy blue or other futuristic-y colors for a space-adventure look. Make sure your gun is propped up so you don’t have to flip it over and possible mess up the paint job.
3) I used a hammer-texture black spray for the base coat. Took FOREVER to dry. If you use a hammered texture paint, you can’t see the texture unless you leave it bare and don’t color over it. It looks really cool though!
4) paint your gun using a paintbrush, a spongy brush thing, and the primary colors of steampunk: gold, silver, copper, and bronze/metallic brown. You can also use Rub n Buff to add like a weird tarnish to it. I used a Patina rub n buff (bad idea), so I might paint over the silver top part with copper.
5) I’m going to add big gears to cover up the Nerd logo. You can add other stuff if you want to cover it up.
This is for the people who don’t have the time or resources to sand down the Nerf logo or disassemble their gun. The gun in the last pic isn’t completely finished, but it gives you a general idea of what it’ll look like. Cool? Cool! Now get out there and make yourself a wicked gun!